[plug] URGENT: DON'T READ THE `HELLO HONEY' MESSAGE if you're on OutLook

Colin Muller colin at twobluedots.com.au
Wed May 8 18:58:29 WST 2002

On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 06:34:27PM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:

> 3 days?!?
> I've been advising people lately (whenever I do another virus cleanup,
> usually) to update virus defs _daily_ when they log on to the 'net and
> before they check their email.

Crikey. Whatever happened to skiving off early for a long weekend?

Daily doesn't match a lot of people's Net usage patterns. Updating the
virus defs before checking email is a good idea, but actually also
doesn't suit the way people *want* to use email when they get back
from a three-week holiday (boot up, check mail).  Perhaps a more
user-friendly approach would be the deceptively difficult-seeming one
of a change of OS and/or mail client.

It's really not as difficult as MS^H^Hpeople make out to change OS,
given a reasonable level of support from a knowledgeable friend or
sysadmin or family member. Certainly no harder than it was for people
to change from DOS to Win 3.x or from Win 3.x to Win95. It's a matter
of marketing the idea that the change is something which answers their
needs. With OO at 1.0, Mozilla a hairs-breadth from the same, and RH
7.3 including stuff like mrproject, that's becoming easier and easier
to do.

Colin