[plug] woody X

Russell Steicke r.steicke at bom.gov.au
Thu May 9 08:57:26 WST 2002

On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 07:15:41PM +0800, garry wrote:
> My laptop battery went flat. On startup, I couldnt start x as a normal
> user, but it is fine as root..
> Box is up to date as of UWA's mirror, and appears to be fine otherwise..
>
> Must be a user level X file has become corrupt I guess..!?
>
> Any ideas?

Could be ~/.xsession, ~/.xinitrc, or perhaps one of your gnome or kde or
windowmaker (or ...) configs.

Are you starting X with startx, or doing a login via xdm/gdm etc?

If you're using xdm, then you should see errors in ~/.xsession-errors.
If startx, then the errors should be on the screen.  But they may have
scrolled off, so try

  $ startx >xlog 2>&1

then look in xlog to see the error messages.  There's lots of other
stuff in there too, so you'll have to hunt around a bit.

And it is worthwhile putting a journalling filesystem on your laptop.
You can change to ext3 from ext2 without losing any data.

--
Russell Steicke

-- Fortune says:
This is a test of the Emergency Broadcast System.  If this had been an
actual emergency, do you really think we'd stick around to tell you?