[plug] OT: DLS-300 ADSL modem

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu May 9 11:50:05 WST 2002

> Aha!  This was the information I was missing, not realising that this
> hardware was a bridge, not a router.  Thank you.

I love the way iiNet uses transparent ethernet bridging mode on their
ethernet ADSL modems. When I got ours for work, it was a matter of plug
in, edit iptables script (s/ppp0/eth1/),
# ifconfig eth1 <ip> netmask 255.255.255.252 up
# route add default gw <gw-ip> eth1

and we were running. Beat that, PPPoE

OTOH now I want a second IP (for IPSEC only traffic) and find out that
we need to do some native ATM magic or cisco router buying for that. Oh
well.

--
Craig Ringer                                IT Manager, POST Newspapers
http://www.postnewspapers.com.au/