[plug] mod-ssl

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri May 10 11:50:23 WST 2002

Leon Brooks wrote:
> On Thursday 09 May 2002 14:06, adrian at Diskworld.com.au wrote:
>
>>    Quick question - can mod-ssl for apache be used with a dynamic ip or
>>does it require a resolvable domain name?
It can be used with a dynamic IP.
You can create a certificate for "localhost" and use that as the
ServerName. Apache will still listen on all interfaces unless you tell
it otherwise and won't care about IP changes unless it happens during a
connection thanks to a naughty DHCP server.
You can if you choose use something like dyndns.org to use a dynamic
global-resolvable subdomain to keep track of the machine though.

This method WILL give warnings about the machine perhaps not being who
it says it it (domain != ip reverse lookup) but these can be safely
ignored. Well, unless you really think somebody will try to spoof your
dialup webserver.

>> At the
>>moment I get a "Certificate does not match" type error. Is this because I
>>don't have a domain associated with the server?
You should be able to tell yor browser to go ahead anyway, that's
usually more a warning than an error.

--
Craig Ringer                                IT Manager, POST Newspapers
http://www.postnewspapers.com.au/