[plug] USB mouse stops responding

Andrew Furey simpware at yahoo.com
Fri May 10 19:13:30 WST 2002

Hi all,

One of our coworkers has just switched to Debian on
his laptop (woody). It's a Toshiba Portege 7020CT. It
has a Swann mouse (one of those tiny things) connected
to the USB port, but the kernel seems to recognise it
as a PS/2 device (/dev/psaux), so it works fine in
conjunction with the builtin trackpoint.

Problem is, sometimes the USB mouse stops working in X
(trackpoint is still fine). Restarting X (ie. logging
out and back in) always fixes it, but it's annoying if
he's in the middle of something...

It seems to be vaguely related to sleep mode, so it
may be a BIOS setting but I don't see anything
helpful. We're not running gpm due to the gpm+XFree4
conflict, so we can't just restart gpm. (Debian bug
#131176; does anyone know if it's an upstream problem,
and what's being done to fix it?)

Any ideas?

TIA
Andrew

=====
"One Architecture, One OS" also translates as "One Egg, One Basket".

http://messenger.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Messenger
- A great way to communicate long-distance for FREE!