[plug] History and folk lore ...

Harry McNally harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Sat May 11 22:03:09 WST 2002

PLUGers

Have a look at this Linux conference that started in November 1992. Any PLUGers
out there doing this sort of stuff back then ? I'd be interested in very early
war stories ..

http://www.grex.org/cgi-bin/backtalk/vanilla/read?conf=jellyware&item=81&rsel=all

Here's a little taste:

"
Second, Linux and 386BSD have totally different design/development
philosophies.  Each has its advantage.  Linux development is fundamentally
anarchy.  I don't doubt that it's a lot of fun.  New versions come out
around once a month, looks like.  Patches and ports and fun stuff pops
up on a daily basis.  386BSD is focused around work groups that try
to avoid duplicating work.  Quality of everything produced is quite
high, and everything is (compared to Linux) extensively beta tested.
And so people have to wait for developments to come their way.  Like
EISA support that is already functional.  Like MCA support coming out
in v0.2 (probably beginning of next year).
"

I gotta get some of that fundamental anarchy :-)

cu
Harry