[plug] [OT] Fwd: Re: MS targets J2EE

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Tue May 14 11:29:56 WST 2002

I didn't notice this campaign until recently, but what would PLUG do if
similar tactics were employed against us?

Subject: Re: MS targets J2EE
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 21:34:32 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Nick Bauman" <nick at cortexity.com>
To: osschools at leon.brooks.fdns.net

> Do you have any links documenting the MS
> harassment activities?

Here is one example. I took this from javalobby.org:

---8<---

"Subpoenaed by Microsoft"
By Rick Ross of JavaLobby.org

(Rick Ross is the founder and president of Javalobby. He is a frequent
speaker at Java-related events and a well-known advocate for Java
developer interests.)

Little Old Lady At The Door

I took my wife, Elizabeth, and our two daughters out for Thai food last
night, and when we got home there was a car with two little old ladies
driving very slowly by our house. It was weird, the kind of thing you
notice and wonder about. We pulled into the garage, and a couple of
minutes later the doorbell rang. Sure enough, it was one of the little old
ladies who had been driving by. Elizabeth answered the door, and they had
a pleasant conversation for a minute, then the lady asked if Mr. Ross was
around? I went to the front door, and the lady said she was there to drop
off some papers. She was a process server for Microsoft's attorneys, and I
had been subpoenaed in Sun's civil antitrust case against Microsoft.

Everything and the Kitchen Sink

"YOU ARE COMMANDED to produce and permit inspection and copying of the
following documents or objects at the place, date and time specified
below..." says the very official looking paperwork. It then goes on to
list a laundry list of "documents" that feels like everything I ever wrote
or received, including my grade school report cards. It's an outrage, and
typical of the harassment tactics that high-paid corporate lawyers use to
irritate and deter those would oppose them. Well, the hassle-tactics may
be enough to make me aggravated, but I damned well will not be deterred!
None of us should be, this matter of Microsoft's illegal behavior years
ago is still impacting every one of us today, perhaps more than ever. I'll
obey the court and provide what is required, but I will not back away from
my conviction that Microsoft deliberately abused its monopoly power to
suppress and undermine the adoption of client-side Java.

---8<---

- /\/

--
Nick Bauman