[plug] K-word

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue May 14 17:10:43 WST 2002

> This is the second time it has frozen my computer completely – I thought
> only Windows was meant to do that, but it seems that Linux and K-Word are a
> deadly combination .... didn’t just crash K-Word, there was no mouse
> pointer; no response to keyboard or to Ctrl+Alt+Delete and I had to
> eventually press the Reset button on my computer case.

Yeah. Linux (the kernel) just doesn't crash w/o compiler breakage,
hardware breakage, bad 3rdparty modules, or truly spectacular user idiocy.

X, unfortunately, does. Especially with those friendly NVidia drivers.
It is endlessly frustrating to know that my system is chugging along
happily but all console input is being eaten by a hard-crashed Xserver
(C-A-B doesn't work). All well and good when you can ssh in and killall
-9 XFree86 but this isn't going to work for standalone machines.

I used to have an S3 Virge, and went back to using the VESA drivers (ok,
SVGA I was using 3.3 at the time) because of reliabilty issues similar
to yours. This was _ages_ ago though.

--
Craig Ringer                                IT Manager, POST Newspapers
http://www.postnewspapers.com.au/