[plug] Proglems with NFS Installation of Mandrake 8.2

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue May 14 21:14:49 WST 2002

> One thing though.  You said "Also make sure your /etc/fstab entry for
> /mnt/cdrom doesn't contain
> "noexec" in the options. If it doesn't - add it, "  are you saying to add
> noexec or not ?
I would reccomend using noexec to mount CDs normally, so yes do add
noexec to /etc/fstab's entry for /dev/cdrom. This improves security.

However, for this _specific_ case (network install from DVD) you want
noexec _disabled_. The mount command I listed will leave it disabled.

Not enabling "noexec" will do no harm, and may avoid confusion like this
in the future. However, imagine running a real nasty off a CD by
accident... (OK perhaps I'm being paranoid).