[plug] Windows upgrades for people and Macs

James Elliott James.Elliott at wn.com.au
Wed May 15 11:29:16 WST 2002

Hi Craig, the AMD man, and others ........

I have an AMD K6 233 MHZ and Iam thinking of upgrading by simply replacing
the mainboard and CPU because everything else in the box is reasonably up to
date:

256 Mb SDRAM 133 MHz
48x CD-ROM
Brand new Sony CD-RW
ATX case
2x 20 GB HDD  (one for Windows and one for Linux)

I was wondering how "current" I should go with regard to Linux
compatibility.  What I mean is that Linux RH 7.1 is obvioulsy compatible
with my old AMD K6 233 but would Red Hat 7.3, which Paul is sending me, be
written to accommodate and use all the features of an AMD 1800XP Athlon CPU
(1.8 GHz) ... or isn't this an issue?

BTW.... I sold a graphic artist / Web Page Designer friend of mine an
Atholon 1.8 GHz (he uses Windows ME), and talk about Faaaaasssst!!!!!!   In
real life, not just in bench tests, if you look closely at a computer
working with graphics and animations, the latest PIV seems to be a bit
faster than the old Celeron 500 (my friend has both), but he is still
shaking his head and raving about the speed of the Athlon - and this is
after having it for many weeks.

James Elliott
Ravensthorpe Computers
ABN 34 305 232 710