[plug] Professional Linux Organisation

Colin Muller colin at twobluedots.com.au
Tue May 21 20:23:56 WST 2002

On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 08:05:08PM +0800, Jacqueline McNally wrote:
[about potential client who found that OSS developers ...]
> * wanted to use Perl, Python, or PhP rather than building off an existing
> applications platform such as Zope or Midguard; we don't want to reinvent
> the wheel

I do think things like PostNuke (currently running the PLUG site) have
unnecessarily and not very effectively reinvented some wheels. On the
other hand, I did some reinvention of my own in Perl when Zope and
Cocoon were too far from being able to do what I wanted them to do
(XML-related) a couple of years back. Time to revisit Zope, I guess
(downloading as I type).

> I think they are looking for a content management system. I must admit I
> only glanced at their RFP but they do say in the document that they are
> interested in using Open Source.

In combination, the expertise hanging around PLUG could certainly
handle this sort of thing, and as Leon says, we've certainly kicked
the idea around before.

Colin