[plug] How to determine CPU Types for kernel rebuilds

Ben Jensz jensz at wn.com.au
Wed May 22 14:14:26 WST 2002

A Celeron 850 would be a Coppermine.  And the 300A a PII like Paul said
below.

A Celeron 633 shows up as this:

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 8
model name      : Celeron (Coppermine)
stepping        : 6
cpu MHz         : 634.779
cache size      : 128 KB

In regards to RH having a dodgy kernel or compiler, it was the compiler that
was dodgy.  They shipped a development build of gcc with it, which shouldn't
have happened, it should've shipped with a stable build.  Or thats what I've
read anyway :).

/ Ben