[plug] Professional Linux Organisation

Jeremy Malcolm Jeremy at Malcolm.wattle.id.au
Thu May 23 18:41:15 WST 2002

Colin Muller wrote:

> All of us who use Linux to provide professional services also use a
> lot of open-source software which is not exclusive to Linux in the
> course of providing those services (ask Richard Stallman :-)). Why not
> form an association which reflects that reality? I believe the broader
> outlook inherent in doing so would result in a proportionatley broader
> impact.

More possible names along these lines:

WAS*P - Western Australian Society of *nix Professionals

WANOSP - Western Australian Network of Open Systems Professionals

OSIAWA - Open Source Industry Association of Western Australia

OSCPWA - Open Source Computing Professionals of Western Australia

TOSAWAI - TOSAWAI are Open Source Advocates in Western Australian
Industry

I kind of like the last one, not just because it is a recursive
acronym, but also because we like to "toss away" Microsoft products.
On the other hand, "OSIAWA" has a nice ring to it (pronounce like
"Asia WA" except with an "O").  What do other people like?  Once we
get a few more names I'll put them up on a Web site for votes.