[plug] access and access.db

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Sat May 25 11:43:48 WST 2002

From: http://www.sendmail.org/tips/relaying.html
------------
The access database (normally in /etc/mail/access) allows a mail administrator
to administratively allow access to the mail server by individual domains.
Each database entry consists of a domain name or network number as the key and
an action as the value.

Keys can be a fully or partly qualified host or domain name such as
host.subdomain.domain.com, subdomain.domain.com, or domain.com. The last two
forms match any host or subdomain under the specified domain. (If
FEATURE(relay_hosts_only) is set, only the first form works.) Keys can also be
a network address or subnetwork, e.g., 205.199.2.250, 205.199.2, or 205.199.
The latter two forms match any host in the indicated subnetwork. Lastly, keys
can be user at host.domain to reject mail from a specific user.

Values can be REJECT to refuse connections from this host, DISCARD to accept
the message but silently discard it (the sender will think it has been
accepted), OK to allow access (overriding other built-in checks), RELAY to
allow access including relaying SMTP through your machine, or an arbitrary
message to reject the mail with the customized message.

For example, a database might contain:

cyberpromo.com REJECT
sendmail.org RELAY
spam at buyme.com 550 Spammers shan't see sunlight here

to reject all mail from any host in the cyberpromo.com domain, allow any
relaying to or from any host in the sendmail.org domain, and reject mail from
spam at buyme.com with a specific message.

Note that the access database is a map and just as with all maps, the database
must be generated using makemap. For example:
makemap hash /etc/mail/access < /etc/mail/access

HTH

Yours Tony

Jan 22-26 2003      Linux.Conf.AU       http://conf.linux.org.au/
         The Australian Linux Technical Conference!