[plug] Firewalls

Michael Hunt michael.j.hunt at usa.net
Sun May 26 09:36:50 WST 2002

> I've never had a good experience with an "instant firewall" product.
> Most seem limited, make assumptions about the network they shouldn't, or
> in Smoothwall's case just refuse to work. I tried Smoothwall on 3
> different machines and got the same problems (console corruption,
> tendancy to crash when hooked up to a network). Probably just me,
> though.

I on the other hand have had great success with smoothwall and love the
product but I alos can reflect the comments on the man behind it. For this
reason I plan to go to IPCop (a smoothwall derivative that has all the
featurtes I want for a firewall.

I have thought about building my own from a Debian or OpenBSD install but
the web intyerface on Smoothwall is the killer for me as I have non techy
users who need to be able to dialup and since I have implemented it this way
anything text nbased would seem to be a vast step backwards. Abd as they say
if it aint broke dont touch it !!!

Michael Hunt