[plug] Address Book

Richard wpickett at iprimus.com.au
Sun May 26 11:51:29 WST 2002

On Sunday 26 May 2002 8:59 am, James Elliott wrote:
> Does anyone know how to import an Outlook Express address book into any of
> the Linux mail applications.
>
> I have exported my Windows Outlook Express address book onto a floppy disk,
> but can't seem to import it into any of the mail programs running under
> Linux.
>
> Kind regards
>
> James Elliott
> Ravensthorpe Computers
> ABN 34 305 232 710
> Tel:   08 9838 1043
> Fax:  08 9838 1049
> Cell:  0428 39 6052
> E-mail:  James.Elliott at wn.com.au
> Australia Post:
> PO Box 228, Ravensthorpe WA 6346

Kmail has an import utility that claims to handle outlook express 5. I have
tried it with an outlook xp 'my contacts' file and it seems to read the file
ok (it's only a text file when all said and done) but it does not seem to be
able to digest it properly when you hit ok. I think it would be possible to
write a script to do the job seeing as we're only dealing with text files,
but in the end I have just picked through my old contacts file and salvaged
the details I wanted in the new one. I can only speak for my experiences with
kmail though, there may very well be another email client with a better
import utility out there.