[plug] How do you switch between KDE and Gnome

Russell Keith-Magee Russell.Magee at calytrix.com
Mon May 27 07:49:43 WST 2002

> On Sunday 26 May 2002 11:36 am, Craig Ringer wrote:
> > >I have got
> > > as far as /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc, which calls exec on
> /etc/X11/Xsession,
> > > but I'm finding it hard to figure out at what point the default
> > > desktop/wm comes
> >
> > Isn't it in /etc/sysconfig/desktop? Its been ages since I used any RH
> > based distro but that sounds right...
>
> I have spent the last 24 hours re-tracing the entire x
> initialisation process
> trying to find that simple file. /etc/sysconfig/desktop! How
> sweet you are :)
> That is one little, single line, text file I will not forget for a while.

(Speaking from a Redhat background - Mandrake milage may vary)

There are two ways I know of:

1) Using a GDM login, use the menus on the login screen to select login of
choice, and say "set as default" when asked.

2) When logged in, run switch-desk. IIRC, there is a KDE and GNOME version.
It pops up a dialog, lets you select from radio buttons, and commit a
change.

Russ %-)

Russell Keith-Magee
Software Engineer
Calytrix Technologies
Unit 9, EIR Building, Technology Park
PO Box 1173, BENTLEY 6982, Western Australia