[plug] ADSL modem/router

Kevin Shackleton kevins at wn.com.au
Mon May 27 19:37:39 WST 2002

Check out http://www.cablingdirectory.com/techinfo/modularinfo/jacksplugs.htm
and http://www.blackbox.com/tech_docs/tech_overviews/usoc.html for summaries
of "RJ-11" and "RJ-12".  RJ-11 is a single pair in a 4, 6 or 8 way modular
connection, while (apparently de facto) RJ-12 is a single pair in a 6 way
modular connector.  Note also that "RJ-45" does not relate to the wiring
scheme used in EIA/TIA 568 A and B.

Richard seems to be unclear about the role of the router and the hub.  I had a
quick look for a tutorial on these items - anyone know of a good URL?  I'd be
reluctant to buy an integrated ADSL router and hub because when you lose one
you lose both.  You can get a 10 Mbps hub for under $100 and a 100 Mbps
switching hub for under $200.  Probably not worth going for gigabit at the
present.  Seems a waste anyway, when you're sharing a fraction of 1 Mbps
incoming . .

K.