[plug] [mostly OT] Suicide bomber

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Mon May 27 23:44:05 WST 2002

The dude who blew himself up in Merriwa, it turns out, did it about 50m from
my sister-in-law's house. He was part-time or ex-military (opinion is
unclear) so knew how to get and use explosives. He did walk out of his house
into the middle of the street before closing the contacts, and they did clean
most of him up with a sponge.

Merriwa has two thriving liquor stores, plus a service station and many
smaller shops (maybe twenty) that go broke regularly. If you combine it with
Quinns and Clarkson, you get seven liquor stores and at least forty regularly
recycled small shops. Sometimes I wonder why it is that people are generally
more willing to irrigate<Esc>^Hdrown their sorrows than to fix them. At least
this bloke did something forcefully different. Watch out for copycat idiots
setting themselves alight or blowing the odd limb off over the next few
months.

One of the projects which is falling on our as-yet-nameless and only
unofficially listed professional Linux association is a demo LTSP project. To
give you some idea of where it will eventually wind up, the Ed Dept contact
involved asked me how difficult it was to securely bolt computers down. Until
they are stolen or destroyed (they are replaceable, the next shipment is
described as `two or three hundred' machines), these computers will be a
possible avenue of escape, a potential interruption to the vicious circle
that would doom many of these children to living in just the kind of social
milieu which these suburbs display, which surrounded the human firework.
Maybe Mohammed can't afford to go to the mountain, but the mountain will be
online somewhere.

Perhaps you never thought of Linux as a social tool before; Open Source
software does open avenues which are generally not practical, and certainly
not practical on the same scale, using close systems. If a school gets a set
of recycled P200s and a server, and as a result *just*one* child picks up
enough office skills to get a job and have a more or less satisfying career
instead of living out their existence as a beaten/beating alcoholic dole
bludger, what is that worth to you? If you work to make this happen in twenty
schools and consequently unearth the next Linus Torvalds, what is that worth
to you?

While many on this list - and you know who you are - are involved with helpful
groups like Computer Angels (or the Salvos, etc), many others are sitting on
their hands - and you know who YOU are - too busy, too poor, not talented
enough, no time, a zillion other bull#### excuses when you really look at
them. I'm going to quote Ashleigh Brilliant at you: `Why be yourself, when
you could be someone really worthwhile instead?'

If you have no time, give money. If you have no talent, ring up or write and
ask schools, government departments, big companies etc what they do with
their old gear, and who you'd have to talk to to get some of it redirected to
worthwhile causes. Carry stuff. Or collect computer gear from council
chuck-out days and call CA when you get your first cubic meter. Or learn by
doing. Same goes for `too poor:' get experience this way, by rearranging,
installing, demoing machines, experience that will mean more to *worthwhile*
employers than a degree in computer science would. Get some purpose into your
life, it doesn't take very much.

Cheers; Leon