[plug] Xwindows

Nigel Duff peregrin at iinet.net.au
Tue May 28 16:24:51 WST 2002

On Tue, 2002-05-28 at 12:55, James Elliott wrote:
> I am getting a bit confused with the various commands to start windows and
> terminals and would be obliged if someone could explain when and why you
> would use the following commands:

X is (or is a symbolic link to) the X server. On my system X points to
/usr/bin/X11/XFree86

> startx

startx is a front end to xinit and xserverrc. You would put any arguments
you wanted in xinit.

> xterm

This is a terminal window. You also have Eterm, Rxvt etc. It like a
virtual terminal under X.

> xinit

xinit is a startup file for X. You would put what window manager
you want to run and any programs that you want when X starts in here.

> xman

xman is a GUI front end for the manual pages.

Nigel