[plug] [newbie Q] Fonts and Linux

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed May 29 16:13:27 WST 2002

> I don't have Linux at the moment but I was wondering about fonts on
> Linux, as far as I know (could be wrong) Mac fonts are incompatible with
> windows fonts,
Somewhat. The bitmap fonts are incompatable, but the TrueType fonts are
compatable, though the file format does need converting. I should know,
I maintain a hetrogenous mac/win/lin environment.

I might be wrong about the bitmap fonts though, never cared enough to
try to convert them. TrueType is all that matters for us. Also don't
know about PostScript fonts - I suspect they're compatable w/o changes
actually.

> so does Linux have its own font "type" or does it support
> both? (That would be good)
Modern linux distros support TrueType fonts which are commonly used on
both MacOS and Windows, as well as Type1 (postscript?) fonts. There are
also other font formats mostly used for the console, such as pcf but you
generally don't have to worry about them.

Also supported are some kind of bitmap font (std X one, know what it is
anybody?), Speedo (never seen any of this format), CID (ditto).

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is.