[plug] Watching DVD's under Linux

John Knight anarchist_tomato at hotmail.com
Fri May 31 14:37:41 WST 2002

The drive will be fine, don't worry. As far as players go, this will get an
hideous reaction from the mailing list (maybe), because this is like asking
what distro is best, but after going through everything, I find that mplayer
is best. You'll need a good 500Mhz in your 'puter, but I've found that
mplayer has the best way of dealing with high motion and the best quality
picture, not to mention the sound decoding is 'wikid'. You'll have to be one
to jump into the command line, but this isn't a worry, because you can whack
in a GUI too, but it's not much use really, because the command line usage
of mplayer is a 'beautiful thang'. ;)

anarchist tomato

>Hi all,
>
>I am currently in the marketplace for a Notebook computer.  There is one in
>particular that I am currently looking at - a Toshiba Satellite 1800.   One
>of the sellig points (for me) with this particular laptop, is that it comes
>with a built-in DVD player.  However, I plan to run it on GNU/Linux -
>probably Debian.  I would like to use it to watch DVD movies.  I note that
>there are several Linux/DVD projects; does anyone know how mature these
>are.
>
>Also, given that the DVD drive is instead of having a CD-drive, will it act
>like a normal CD player for me to install the OS using standard Debian
>CD's,
>or am I going to have to do special configuration just for the machine to
>read the Linux CD's off the DVD player?
>
>Alternately, any suggestions on laptops up to the value of $2,500 that
>support Linux are much appreciated.
>
>thanks heaps guys
>
>David Buddrige
>
>This e-mail and any attachment is for authorised use by the intended
>recipient(s) only.  It may contain proprietary material, confidential
>information and/or be subject to legal privilege.  It should not be copied,
>disclosed to, retained or used by, any other party.  If you are not an
>intended recipient then please promptly delete this e-mail and any
>attachment and all copies and inform the sender.  Thank you.

Make lunch, not war.