[plug] graphics packages

Tim Bowden BOWDENTJ at sesmailp1.curtin.edu.au
Fri May 31 15:21:47 WST 2002

>>Question is, Is there anything under Linux that is as good as Quark and
>>is a suitable substitute? The same applies to Photoshop.
>Quark - no chance in hell.
>Photoshop - GIMP does some stuff very well but is no good for print
>because it is very slow with high-res images and it doesn't support CMYK
>separations at all.

Want photoshop on Linux?  It's been done.  See the article at
Linuxjournal:
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=6103&mode=thread&order=0

<snip>
So how does DreamWorks use Photoshop with Linux desktops? "We're running
Photoshop in VMware", reports DreamWorks Technologist Skott Miller. "That
combination makes a 2GHz P4 feel like 1.5GHz, but the NVIDIA drivers work
accelerated at full screen." Miller notes that VMware runs Windows
Photoshop in Linux without trouble, but the tricky part is the Wacom
tablet. "Each OS wants raw pen input. Users have to turn off the tablet in
X first to enable it in VMware."
</snip>