[plug] Westnet DSL troubles: probably not linux issue - firmware?

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Fri Nov 1 16:36:26 WST 2002

On Fri, 01 Nov 2002 16:09:46 +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:

| Please note that the command line reports a DIFFERENT version number to
| the windows-based config utility, or at least has some more garbage in
| it. I'll ask mine what version it thinks it is over the cmd line when I
| get home. The management util (laptops rock for this stuff) says 1.14a
| and there is no update I am aware of. When I asked it over the command
| line I remember it said something different but didn't note down what.
| Will post it in a couple of hours.

I've never touched the command line (I assume that's what the serial port
on the back is for?) - I got the version number from the web-based
interface at http://192.168.0.1/.  I didn't know there was a windows config
utility, although it could well be buried on the CD marked "Dlink DSL-300"
that came with the modem :)

| BTW when your connection goes down, does the ADSL LINK light on the
| modem go out? Ours does usually and sometimes stays out for 5, 10
| minutes or occasionally up to 2 hours. Not a happy thing, especially
| since in addition to that we've had 3 Telstra-caused network outages
| since signing up. Uptimes are from 15 minutes to 14 hours, disconnects
| randomly distributed across that time frame. If this matches your
| experience I'd be very interested since you, too, use a DSL-300. It
| might indicate borked hardware not just crap lines, and if we can
| identify a systematic problem with that DSL modem p'haps we can _all_
| get it fixed faster. Or replaced - my Alcatel SpeedTouch at work has
| _never_ gone down except when Telstra kills the exchange.

It certainly seems to match my experience.  Mostly the disconnections seem
to last for 5 to 15 minutes.  I haven't looked at the ADSL LINK LED as the
modem tucked away in a corner which makes it kind of a pain to read the
lights, but will do so next time I notice this happening.

Quite a few people have been whinging in the iinet.general newsgroup about
frequent disconnections. I'd imagine that most, if not all, of these would
have DSL-300 modems as that's what Iinet supplied with our DSL account.

Cheers,

Cameron.