[plug] Linux & Voice Modems

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Nov 4 11:29:05 WST 2002

> Has anyone had any experience with Linux and Voice Modems, and can
> recommend
> good brands/models? Also, any I should steer clear of?

USB modems are risky as the "usb win modem" is out in force.
Read /usr/src/linux/Documentation/usb/acm.txt
its a really good summary of "safe" modems and explains how to deal with
USB modems.

That said, I've got a serial 56k modem (being used as ADSL backup for
_when_ telstra kill the service) I bought maybe 4 years ago, a no-name,
and its worked perfectly from the word go with no troubles at all.

A quick warning with 56k serial modems - not all of them still support
the hayes AT command set properly (in so far as there is a "properly")
and can be diffivult to get working without the windows drivers. Yeah,
you heard me - windows drivers for a 56k serial modem. If you get a
repuatble brand you should be safe, don't know how common the problem is
but I've seen at least 1.

Craig Ringer