[plug] which kernel running?

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Mon Nov 4 23:33:06 WST 2002

On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 11:50:08PM +0800, Daniel wrote:
> if I have a machine that has multiple kernel versions on it - how can I
> tell which one is currently in use?

> (uname -a, dmesg and syslog don't seem to help).

Really? they all should have some semblence of which kernel is
currently running in them.

Typing uname -r will give only the kernel version. uname -a will
pad it with other random snippets of information

The first line of dmesg is generally something like:
Linux version 2.4.18 (b at amidala) (gcc version 2.95.4 20011002
(Debian prerelease)) #1 Sun Nov 3 13:27:50 WST 2002

(unless it's scrolled off the standard dmesg buffer length, in which
case you can pull it from /var/log/dmesg)

syslog.. well it'll be in there somewhere, as generally it contains
much the same as dmesg. But one of the other two methods are
preferable.

uname -r is the simplest way and will always be correct.

HTH,

Bernard.

--
 Bernard Blackham