[plug] which kernel running?

bret bret at busby.net
Tue Nov 5 08:50:42 WST 2002

On 4 Nov 2002, Daniel wrote:

> Hello Plug,
> if I have a machine that has multiple kernel versions on it - how can I
> tell which one is currently in use?  Grub or lilo might tell me the
> default setting and to follow a symbolic link, but I wonder how to tell
> which kernel is acutally currently being used. (uname -a, dmesg and
> syslog don't seem to help).
>
> Thanks,
> Daniel.
> thanks for the help with xconfig

Depending on which distribution you are using, you might not need to use
any commands.

We have RH and above the login prompt, is stated the distribution name
and version, and the kernel version number.

Try just switching to another console (if that is the correct term);
<CTRL><ALT><Fx> where x is the number of a console not already in use,
and looking at the top of the screen.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
  Chapter 28 of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
- Douglas Adams, 1988