[plug] seeking perl wisdom

sol sol at autonomon.net
Tue Nov 5 12:42:37 WST 2002

Okay, okay, so I'm caving into peer group pressure. I've decided to
learn Perl with an eye to learning web application development. As it
can be quite time consuming to learn a language, and because there's
HEAPS to learn within the domain of Perl (I've already spent quite a
while browsing the web and reading online docs) I was seeking some
wisdom from Perl sages (ie: people who use Perl regularly and for some
time) to give some advice on where I should focus my efforts.

My (hypothetical) question is:

If you were going to develop a web site from scratch - knowing what you
know now - that would require a high degree of dynamic content, and were
going to process online transactions (including credit card and cheque
order) using a RDB like Postgresql, what method of development would you
favour?

some options: 1) plain old CGI.pm
                        2) HTML::Mason
                        3) HTML::Template
                        4) Bricolage
                        5) others?

I'm assuming that it's worth learning something about mod_perl
regardless of which method is employed?

Any other tips or traps to look out for for the unwary?

regards,

sol