[plug] Riping cd --> ogg

Mike Holland myk at plug.linux.org.au
Tue Nov 12 17:35:52 WST 2002

On 12 Nov 2002, Chris Caston wrote:

> Basically bands have submitted their demo CD's and I want to rip their
> songs ( legal by contract with them) from the CD and put them on the
> website as ogg format.

If you are doing a lot, it will be much easier to stick to command line
utilities, rather than GUI, and use a little script.
  Try 'cdparanoia' to read the music. AFAIK there is only the one ogg
encoder. Version 1.0 is out, so download the 'vorbis-tools' package if
yours is older.

You will want a little script like:

  - prompt to insert CD and give title/number
  - read ID
  - 'cdparanoia' to read the track.
  - 'eject' the CD.
  - 'oggenc' in background
  - append a link to the HTML web page.
  - loop

See the MP3-HOWTO also, for discussion of rippers.

--
        The origin of Truth is Doubt - Socrates