[plug] adsl opinions

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Wed Nov 13 10:42:31 WST 2002

On Wednesday 13 November 2002 12:31 am, Darren wrote:
> I want to upgrade my dial-up account  to adsl ,im interested to hear
> others opinions,good-bad experiences with  their or other isp's.

WestNet have been excellent, modulo some firmware issues with dLink DSL-500's.
Have heard some whining, but mostly good. WestNet have their own statewide
data network so are very good for country.

ArachNet have been excellent, very responsive, have not heard a bad word
spoken against them yet. Their pricing is a bit weird compared with the rest
of the herd, but you get that. (-:

iiNet's service in general sucks. There are a few very bright individuals in
there (and they know who they are, so I won't name them :-) but you either
have to play tricks or spend some considerable time with an ex-waiter or both
in order to get to someone who knows what they're doing, and their ADSL
record in particular has been abysmal.

I have one customer with several ADSL lines who relies on them for service to
a Terminal Server box (which I call `the basket') running his primary app,
and iiNet cause him an issue at least monthly, some issues have had one or
all locations off air for half a day and one had a remote location down for
two full days. Said customer is migrating to WestNet as his contracts expire.

Another one that I know very little about but have two customers switch to
(from EfTel, or whatever they're called now, don't bother) after I set them
up, and have had no complaints about is Reynolds Technology.

There is PerthIX, for whom Patrick Tehvand works; aside from what Patrick has
had to say, I've had a solitary friend using them who reckons they're
excellent.

There is also LinuxIT, who at last count (as LinuxWA) were badge-engineering
Conceptual, but I gather are now looking at alternatives. Conceptual seem to
be having an increasing number of issues. With Matt at the technical helm and
Scott's drive, I'm sure that whatever they (have?) come up with will be good.

Cheers; Leon