[plug] adsl opinions

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Nov 13 14:42:35 WST 2002

>>>Whom use chap for password authentication, but do you know how long it
>>>took to find someonw who could tell me that?
>>
>>AFAIK they still use PPPoE, just the PPP auth method is CHAP not PAP. Of
>>course, Bigpond == Telstra and they just /have/ to be different.
>
> That's what I said.
> Just Telstra techs insisted it was PAP, because that was 'password
> authentication'. You didn't need a challange to authenticate.
> Finally I found one to tell me it was CHAP. Then it worked straight
> away.
> pppoeconf can't do chap though, you have to do it by hand (sigh)

Its usually a good idea to have the password in both pap-secrets and
chap-secrets just in case IMHO. I've had telstra machines actually
demand PAP one session then CHAP the next. Of course, the one after that
the server went down, which might explain the eccentricity....

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is. (or:)