[plug] adsl opinions & clarification & DSL300

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Wed Nov 13 15:43:31 WST 2002

Thanks for your clarification, Scott. I have sent to Scott, the
information that I was sent, in response to my query about ADSL, from
Concept Networks.

I was wrong; the quoted maximum speed for Home Use, from Concept
Networks ADSL, was 256kb/s.

At present, it all seems too complicated, and too expensive, for the
benefits(?) of ADSL. Especially when, given that we are using either a
33600 or a 56k bits/s modem (I am not sure which it is), the best
sustained data download rate that we can obtain, is 3kb/s. We can
sometimes get bursts of 4-5kb/s, but that is never sustained.

As the phone line that we use for dialling up, is in an ADSL enabled
exchange, it is difficult to understand how upgrading to ADSL, would
give us any great advantage in download speeds. From what I understand,
the main advantage would be in saving phone call charges, for not
needing to make as many phone calls, although, from what I have seen
posted on this list about ADSL, dropouts appear to be (reasonably)
common, so that reconnecting (extra phone calls), appears to be
necessary each month.