[plug] adsl opinions & clarification & DSL300

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Wed Nov 13 16:49:25 WST 2002

On Wed, 13 Nov 2002, Ben Jensz wrote:

> >As the phone line that we use for dialling up, is in an ADSL enabled
> >exchange, it is difficult to understand how upgrading to ADSL, would
> >give us any great advantage in download speeds. From what I understand,
> >the main advantage would be in saving phone call charges, for not
> >needing to make as many phone calls, although, from what I have seen
> >posted on this list about ADSL, dropouts appear to be (reasonably)
> >common, so that reconnecting (extra phone calls), appears to be
> >necessary each month.
> >

> Umm... I think you've misunderstood the concept of ADSL there Bret.

Well and truly. Unfortunately, information in response to specific
queries (how can we get speeds like 1.5Mb/s, on lines that we have
a maximum sustained download speed of 3kb/s?), was not forthcoming from
Concept networks. They basically just sent me a PDF file of a generic
brochure that was mainly pricing, without any real explanation of what
ADSL is, or how it works, and neglecting to answer the query as to
whether the service that they provide, is compatible with Linux. Without
an answer to that query, and, given that Matt is (apparently) no longer
associated with them, it is difficult to gauge the degree of support for
Linux using ADSL, that they could/would provide.

Thanks, Ben and Craig, for increasing my limited understanding of ADSL.

There is still alot more information that we would need to know, before
we went to ADSL, but, at the moment, the up-front capital outlay is a
significant barrier. The initial costs are significantly higher than
dialup access.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
  Chapter 28 of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
- Douglas Adams, 1988