[plug] adsl opinions

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Nov 13 17:46:26 WST 2002

> ADSL is continually touted by Telstra as a "best effort" service. If
> you've ever dealt with Telstra you can imagine what "best effort" means
> to them.

Well, we've got this lobotomized year-10 drop-out and we think he'd make
a really good head for the ADSL services department....

> ISDN on the other hand is a guaranteed service.
> With ADSL you have no such guarantee of uptime, throughput or latency.
> They can over-subscribe an exchange (eg. Bateman) and still be providing
> the service they've sold you.
> ISDN on the other hand gives you a guaranteed throughput circuit (data
> calls are flagged as priority on the telephone network).

... but as far as I know no-one USES data-call ISDN but rather DoV since
Telstra's pricing is so totally insane, yes?

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is. (or:)