[plug] adsl opinions

Ben Jensz jensz at wn.com.au
Wed Nov 13 18:04:58 WST 2002

Craig Ringer wrote:

> ... but as far as I know no-one USES data-call ISDN but rather DoV
> since Telstra's pricing is so totally insane, yes?

Well actually we were at work a couple of months ago until we switched
over to ADSL :)

Because unless things have changed since I last looked, none of the
Onramp plans that businesses could get had untimed local voice calls,
they were all timed and more expensive than doing standard $1.10 an hour
data calls.  Onramp Home Highway was the only plan last I looked that
had untimed local voice calls on it, and you can only get that installed
into a residential premises, not a business premises.

I'm about to get the dedicated ISDN line we were using for net access
disconnected at work, but we do actually have a second ISDN line for V/C
that we can utilise as a backup if ADSL goes down for a lengthy period
of time.

ISDN might be a guaranteed service, but its pathetically expensive and
slow for internet access, especially for businesses with more than a
couple of computers.

/ Ben