[plug] OT: adsl opinions

levsky at rave.iinet.net.au levsky at rave.iinet.net.au
Wed Nov 13 19:57:03 WST 2002

On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 07:59:19PM +0800, Ben Jensz wrote:
> Craig Ringer wrote:
>

> >Hmm. Said drop-out just spilled his booze in the router I think -
> >we're down /again/ . This is the 4th outage in 3 days, all of which so
> >far have been 2+ hours. Incredible.
> >
> Back up again now...
>
> Do we really think that ADSL in WA would have all of these dropouts if
> Bigpond ADSL was actually terminated in Perth as well instead of in
> Victoria?

It's got nothing to do with that unfortunately.  The "all adsl in WA"
problems that have been occuring have mostly been to do with faults
at the Wellington St exchange - which is where most ISPs CVCs/AGVCs
terminate.

I don't know of any WA based ISP who terminate their WA customers over
east - although I have a suspicion that some of the Eastern States based
ISPs still carry their customers back across the Nullabor.

Cheers

Mark

--
Perl is designed to help people learn the bits of programming they need
right now without forcing them to learn the techniques they aren't ready