[plug] questions about Mandrake 9.0

Mike Holland myk at plug.linux.org.au
Thu Nov 14 17:07:16 WST 2002

On Thu, 14 Nov 2002, Milan Pospisil wrote:

>            Could I possibly get an advice how to change the resolution
> of my monitor (using Mandrake 9.0)? Is there an equivalent of Ms

Milan,
your X-windows server is configured by a plain-text file
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4  (or just 'XF86Config' if the -4 doesnt exist)
You can read the XF86Config manual and edit it by hand, or use a
program to edit it. I believe Mandrake uses 'XFdrake'.
Or try Xconfigurator or xf86config .

There are lots of pre-defined video modes, or you can specify your own, so
long as the hardware allows it.

> or is the command line the only answer?(I suppose it might be a good

There isnt a command-line command to change modes AFAIK.

> answer if one knows how to use it). So far the only thing I managed to
> figure out would be to reinstall the whole package, which seems to be a
> bit cumbersome at best.

Better to spend the time reading up. X certainly isnt simple to use.

>  Well, speaking of reinstallig - should it come to it for one reason or
> another and I want to use my Linux machine as a server for a Ms Windows
> box hanging out of it, where the Linux machine will be doing most of the

Can you clarify a bit. Is this two boxes only on a mini-lan, sharing a
dialup to the net?

--
        The origin of Truth is Doubt - Socrates