[plug] starting a linux mag?

Shayne shayne at guild.murdoch.edu.au
Sat Nov 16 20:47:00 WST 2002

It does sound like fun, so as a journalism trained dude, let me give a few
pointers.

I'd suggest the first thing to do is to work out the demographics.
(A) Identify Audience. You have to work out WHO the mag
is targeted at, in terms of (A) Broad demographic [linux heads]
and (B) Specifically [IT commercial sector, IT hacker sector etc], and
if multiple targets, how compatible are they in terms of aust market.
(B) Just how many of these people exist, and do they have the
disposable income to buy such a mag.
(C) Advertising targetability. If the mags gunna be cheap, will the
target market be responsive enough to advertising to allow advertising
to subsidise costs.

Then you need to work out a cost analysis. Based on your demographic
figures (research research research!) , how many do you intend to put out
each edition, and whats the production cost.
Factor in;-
(A) Writers. $100 a pop an article will be a good figure once the mags
established, until it is, perhaps you can rely on goodwill from Pluggers etc.
(B) Artists / Layout. A bit harder cost wise, but keep in mind the market is
always flooded with desperate unemployed graphic designers.
(C) Printing costs. Is the standard mag format do-able, or perhaps a small
newspaper/broadsheet format is the go. Doing it this way may bring end price
down to $2-$4 bucks a pop. Plus a newspaper format is novel.
(D) Plant. Factor in 2-3 linux boxen, plus a mac for the artist. (Reality
check;- Artists love macs.. So OS.X stacked with gnu-goodies + standard
adobe toys is the go. Gimps fun , but it's no illustrator/photoshop) And
location.
You will need at least one machine at good spec to fiddle with , and sadly
it's probably got to be red-hat flavored as opposed to Debian. Make sure
to pressure suppliers into giving samples to play wi^H^H^H review.
(E) Admin.

Maybe the trick is to put together a sample edition to give you an idea of
logistics, and start BOMBING publishers with the proposal. Do you know
any marketing guys? They will be GOLD in helping you pitch the idea.

Anyway, I'll be happy to help out and GOOD LUCK!
Shayne.