[plug] starting a linux mag?

Hook hooker at iinet.net.au
Sat Nov 16 22:16:07 WST 2002

If the magazine is a serious suggestion, then I'll help.  Does anyone have a
suggestion about a target audience?  I'd suggest a bit of everything -
detailed pieces for the tech-heads, intro articles for people who are
interested and want to learn more, and lightweight material  for people who
might be weened away from the dark side with help.

The Hooker

"Shayne" wrote:
Indeed.

On this idea , perhaps if one wants to take an open mind then may I
suggest an organisational model that may help to get it off the ground.
.....drum roll for extremely contraversial suggestion........
The Online Collective!

By that I simply mean do the following;-
(A) Set up a groupware powered site. My recomendation;- Moregroupware,
as it's no nonsense as opposed to PHP and it's godawfull mixed-meat
slow-ass navigation. This will make coordinating *SO*MUCH*EASIER.
Oh, and definately use Amphora if you can! (bad mojo debian)
(B) Set up a mailing list & a blog for article submission, the blog
will eventually double as online version of mag.
(C) Get some people to volenteer for copy (writing stories etc)
(D) Get other people to volunteer to do some market research.....
(E) Get people people to volunteer to edit a 'pilot' issue up.. Be smart
about this, pagemaker or quark or publishers will think your on crack.
(F) Set up a steering committee to coordinate this.
(G) Bombard every techy you know to join in.

Now to get this cranking in the early stages back off from apointing
heirachy and roles and let people swap around doing what they want.
It will become clear naturally who are leaders and who are followers,
this is just to get it off the road, it's not the destination.
With a loose anarchic coalition forming, you can then get a pilot issue
pdf'ed up and ready for print. Don't take it to print however, start bombing
publishers with it and see how that goes. If all else fails, perhaps a fund
raiser to get it started indy-mag like.

Just a suggestion.

On Saturday 16 November 2002 13:23, Peter J. Nicol wrote:
> [...]
> such as well.
>
> Design Graphics is an excellent graphic design magazine that comes out of
> Australia and is read internationally, so it can be done.  A really great
> team and a really great product is the key.  Does anyone know of any great
> Australian Computer/IT websites with an international rep?  They may be a
> good start for a print magazine ...
>
> There is a chicken and egg thing with advertisers and magazines.  They
only
> want to put ads in mags that people read, and without the advertisers it
is
> hard to get the magazine out ...  So you have to be going for a while
> before they will come on board ... unless you want to give the ad's away
at
> the beginning.
>
> The other way is to put a team together, and go to a publisher.  But there
> is little to stop them stealing your idea outright and starting up with
> their own team.  In this instance also, you would lose a degree of
> independence.  This can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on your
> opinion (regular wages=good, loss of independence=bad).
>
> I could be talked into helping out a bit, depending on how serious the
> effort is.
>
> >  I'd suggest the first thing to do is to work out the demographics.
> >  (A) Identify Audience. You have to work out WHO the mag
> >  is targeted at, in terms of (A) Broad demographic [linux heads]
> >  and (B) Specifically [IT commercial sector, IT hacker sector etc], and
> >  if multiple targets, how compatible are they in terms of aust market.
> >  (B) Just how many of these people exist, and do they have the
> >  disposable income to buy such a mag.
> >  (C) Advertising targetability. If the mags gunna be cheap, will the
> >  target market be responsive enough to advertising to allow advertising
> >  to subsidise costs.
> >
> >  Then you need to work out a cost analysis. Based on your demographic
> >  figures (research research research!) , how many do you intend to put
> > out each edition, and whats the production cost.
> >  Factor in;-
> >  (A) Writers. $100 a pop an article will be a good figure once the mags
> >  established, until it is, perhaps you can rely on goodwill from
> >  Pluggers etc.
> >  (B) Artists / Layout. A bit harder cost wise, but keep in mind
> >  the market is
> >  always flooded with desperate unemployed graphic designers.
> >  (C) Printing costs. Is the standard mag format do-able, or
> >  perhaps a small
> >  newspaper/broadsheet format is the go. Doing it this way may
> >  bring end price
> >  down to $2-$4 bucks a pop. Plus a newspaper format is novel.
> >  (D) Plant. Factor in 2-3 linux boxen, plus a mac for the artist.
> >  (Reality
> >  check;- Artists love macs.. So OS.X stacked with gnu-goodies + standard
> >  adobe toys is the go. Gimps fun , but it's no illustrator/photoshop)
And