[plug] Software replacement list: MS-Publisher

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Nov 18 11:16:54 WST 2002

> Publisher documents edited
> on one machine may not display or print correctly on another. A major culprit
> is printers with slightly different paper margins, but nevertheless it
> sometimes drops the ball between identical machines with identical printers.

Ugg, you're kidding right? *shudders*. You see, I've never used
publisher and don't plan to but that horrifies me. Its worth noting
however that we provide the user with specs on the space they'll have
and they /must/ edit to that spec. Of course, we also provide them with
specs on accepted formats.... *sigh*.

Quark can be like that too, of course, but Quark users know how to set
page sizes and attach fonts (usually) so we have relatively little
trouble with them (only apalling, not unworkable).

> I have some print shops as customers. What the employees have to say when a
> job arrives in Publisher format isn't printable.

Hmm. My comments usually aren't either because it means 1/2 hour or more
on the phone explaining that "Acrobat Reader != Acrobat" and trying to
get them to install the Adobe PS Print drivers on their windoze box,
create a postscript file, and send that + all fonts to us. The customers
just won't pay the small (relative to the cost of their ad) production
fee if they can waste my time and theirs trying other things.

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is. (or:)