[plug] /etc/group

Brad Campbell brad at seme.com.au
Mon Nov 18 15:23:21 WST 2002

G'day all,

Have not been able to figure this out and have not really found any help
on the net. Sooo....

I have done a moderately sized NT to Samba changeover and am suffering
pretty badly with the reduced granularity on file/dir ACL's..

NT seems to do better here with the ability to have mutliple groups/users
tied to a file or dir, rather than the standard unix user/group/other format.

Is there any way I can
A) make any file created in a dir inherit the dirs group id.
B) Add a group to a group in /etc/group.

ie
users:x:100:brad, john, rob
grp1:x:101:users
grp2:x:102:users, fred

I think I can break the ACL's down far enough by fixing the modes on a
directory and having everything inide the dir mode 777. Which is what
we want, we just want to block certain people from certain dirs.
I need about 20 groups for the granularity that I require and hope to avoid
having to add users to all of them manually when I need to add/delete a user
to/from the system.

Also, can anyone recommend a good read on the net about this stuff?

I can manage everything else ok, but this office has a serious thing for
privacy and security and the NT setup they had was most complex.

--
Brad....
                   /"\