[plug] Password Issue

Andre.Thomas at switch.aust.com Andre.Thomas at switch.aust.com
Mon Nov 18 17:18:18 WST 2002

Hi all,

I've seemed to have stumbled across something unexpected (as these things
are).  It seems that the /etc/passwd file or something related to it has
become corrupted in some manner - I am no longer able to log into a
machine.  Whilst a normal boot up on the Woody box, one can see that
groups/uids/permissions are a little mixed up from the way things are
failing.  I attempted a 'linux single' and a 'linux emergency' which errs
with the message:

     sulogin:  cannot open passwd database

Anyone know where I can go from here?

Regards,