[plug] PCI ADSL cards

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Nov 19 21:55:04 WST 2002

> Pulsar adsl pci cards seem to have driver for 2.4.18 amongst others
>
> http://www.traverse.com.au/downloads/drivers/
>
> http://www.traverse.com.au/products/default.asp?p=8
>
> $226 (ex gst) available here

... but what if they decide that this linux thing isn't so interesting
after all and don't support 2.6 or whatever. Wouldn't that begin to piss
you off in say a year?

I just don't want to go near binary only drivers.

$ lsmod | grep NV
NVdriver

well.... mostly. I think the NVidia drivers are about as safe as you can
get in binary driver terms. I wish they were open source but with NVidia
they actually have /reasons/ (patent issues - the stupid US patent
system, getting sued, honestly technically interesting driver code).
Most hardware providers have nothing much to hide in the drivers and
refuse to disclose hardware info out of paranoia and habit, from what
I've heard. People who make NICs, TV/Radio tuners, video gear, cameras
and other USB stuff, etc are common culprits.

I'd be thinking of putting it in the "a bit risky" basket personally.

Craig Ringer