[plug] PCI ADSL cards

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Nov 20 12:55:06 WST 2002

> Still I could ask them if thye are ever likely to release the source
> code....

Doesn't really matter tho does it, until they ACTUALLY DO IT.

>>I just don't want to go near binary only drivers.
>>
>>$ lsmod | grep NV
>>NVdriver
>>
>>well.... mostly. I think the NVidia drivers are about as safe as you can
>>get in binary driver terms.

> It's silly if their business model is selling hw then they shouldn't
> have any problems with open sourceing their drivers. Its just red tape
> that gets stuck all over you and ties you to the train track.

Precicely. Now with most perpiperhals their business is selling the
hardware and the drivers are an unfortunate expense. What gets me is
that many of those companies have people begging for the documentation
needed to write drivers FOR FREE. People like NVidia are a bit
different, since their drivers are actually a significant part of their
product (they may be free, but they're a big part of the reason people
use NVidia hardware) so I can understand their reluctance to open them
much more.

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is. (or:)