[plug] Moving Linux

Mike Holland myk at plug.linux.org.au
Wed Nov 20 16:31:08 WST 2002

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, Craig Ringer wrote:

>  If you mean its not ATA-33/66/100/133 and doesn't use
> 80-conductor cables, thats a non-issue.

You would think so. But I installed Linux, and then replaced the 40-way
cable with an 80-way, so going from 33 to UDMA-100.  Windoze improved,
but Linux got much slower. Passing "ide0=dma ide0=autotune" to the kernel
at boot seems to have fixed it.
  The moral - even if it seems to work after moving, check your
performance.

--
        The origin of Truth is Doubt - Socrates