[plug] Windows and Linux SWAP

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Nov 21 09:19:15 WST 2002

I am the LinuxAlien wrote:
> Is there some way to share a swap partition between windows and Linux? I
> am running Debian and W2k. I have 128Mb ram and a 235Mb swap partition.
> Windows has currently got a 128Mb swap file.

/why/? The only benefit would be saving 128mb of disk space. Windows
isn't noticeably faster with a swap file on a separate partition of the
same disk over a FIXED SIZE swap partition on the main volume. Of course
  if your swap partition is on a separate disk it might be worth it,
especially if the second disk is faster.

> My main need for the speed
> advantage is for Windows as this is my work computer used for High
> intensity graphics. (is there some way to help boost this

Buy more RAM. RAM is cheap, if you're doing anything serious whack in a
512MB DIMM and be shocked by the improvement. Of course that assumes
your PC takes PC100/133 or DDR, older RAM types and (*ick) RAMBUS memory
are more expensive.

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is. (or:)