[plug] Re: NVdriver

Mike Holland myk at plug.linux.org.au
Thu Nov 21 10:09:17 WST 2002

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, Craig Ringer wrote:

> > Fear not. That NVdriver can be built from source and an 'nv.o' object file
> > which is kernel independent.
>
> and it refuses to build having checked for a >2.4 kernel.

I didnt say the package was kernel-independent, just the binary-only part.
If you look at the symbol table for Module-nvkernel, you'll see it only
calls the functions in the source code, even if they are just wrappers for
system calls.

> Sure, 2.5 isn't exactly what I want to use, but the point is it'll work
> for most 2.4 revisions, thats it. This is also true of a true open
> source driver... but they're a tad easier to fix *grin*.

I know nothing about kernel programming, but it looks like nvidia have
gone to some effort to make their driver equally easy to fix.

--
        The origin of Truth is Doubt - Socrates