[plug] Windows and Linux SWAP

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Nov 21 16:05:08 WST 2002

> You can use a file for linux swap, but its oh so sloooowwwwww ... in
> comparison with a swap partition.  Its very useful to be able to create
> one on the fly though when you need an extra gig or two of swap.

... like when running montage from ImageMagick on a 1gig dir of JPEGs
and TIFFs. Any idea why its such a memory gobbling pig? I once had
montage get OOM-killed for using 2 1/2 GIGS of swap and all my server's
RAM. 1 Gig of VM is common.

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is. (or:)