[plug] [semi-OT] Public/private keys?

Luke Dudney plug at apophis.net
Sat Nov 23 16:44:33 WST 2002

Yes, that's true. However, asymmetric encryption algorithms are selected
to be such that trying to compute this inverse function would take
billions or gazajillions of times longer than the other way around.
As a very basic example, modern CPUs are very good at multiplying
numbers together, but are very poor at division.
You could employ an encryption algorithm that multiplies two numbers
together, and to crack that encryption would require you to then divide
the result to get the original numbers, which would take far longer.

Cheers
Luke