[plug] [semi-OT] Public/private keys?

Andrew Furey simpware at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 24 12:33:31 WST 2002

> A -->(process)-->B    but B -->(reverse process)
> !>A  (you cannot ge A from > B)
>
> If you can accept that as fact for now, this is how
> it works ........

[snip]

Hmm. Yes, I understand that side of it (and to answer
Craig's question, I was thinking of digital signing
when I said "vice versa").

I also assumed that there was no way to reverse it, or
else PK crypto would be basically useless. I was just
curious as to precisely _how_ it works... although
using factorisation seems to make sense, as Craig
suggested.

It's probably some complex mathematical function
thingy, and my yr12 calculus is a bit rusty, so I'll
assume that smarter people than me have it all worked
out.

Actually my original question wasn't so much reversing
the encrypted _document_ to get the plaintext one, it
was more about reversing the public _key_ to get the
private one. After all, if anyone gets your private
key, you're in trouble...

Andrew

=====
Linux supports the notion of a command line or a shell for the same
reason that only children read books with only pictures in them.
Language, be it English or something else, is the only tool flexible
enough to accomplish a sufficiently broad range of tasks.
                          -- Bill Garrett

http://www.yahoo.promo.com.au/hint/ - Yahoo! Hint Dropper
- Avoid getting hideous gifts this Christmas with Yahoo! Hint Dropper!